What are the benefits of hygiene treatment?
Our hygienist plays a fundamental role in oral health care here at Cestria Dental Practice. Regular visits are the key to achieving really successful preventative dental care, minimising the need for dental treatment and ensuring confidence that you have a healthy mouth, fresh breath and an end to bleeding gums.
What are the benefits to your general health?
There are also benefits to your general health. Research shows that untreated or undiagnosed gum disease may lead to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. It can increase your risk of developing type two diabetes. The harmful plaque bacteria in your mouth has been increasingly linked to arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, low birth weight and premature birth, kidney disease and osteoporosis.
This is why we think focusing on your dental health is so important.
Our hygienists specialise in the prevention of decay and treatment and prevention of gum disease. They will enable you to optimise the day to day care of your mouth, helping to achieve and maintain healthy gums and teeth, to help ensure any restorations are also protected from the harmful effects of plaque bacteria.
Gum disease is an even bigger enemy than tooth decay. It is the main cause of tooth loss in adults, with 3 out of 4 adults in the UK affected.
Your initial appointment with our Hygienist:
- Firstly, we will need to find out what concerns you may have with your oral health. We will discuss lifestyle issues which may be affecting your dental health.
- We will ask you about your current home care routine. We find it really beneficial for you to bring your regular toothbrush and any interdental aids with you to your first appointment so that we can help you get the most out of your cleaning at home. We will review your home care routine each time we see you and keep you up to date with products we think will be of help.
- We will make a full assessment of the condition of your gums and the supporting bone levels in areas of your mouth where harmful bacteria are present. We review this at each visit and let you know of any changes to the health of your teeth and gums.
- We will remove any hard plaque deposits and stains from your teeth, leaving your mouth feeling really clean and fresh.
We will work with you to help you with the skills, tools and techniques you need to remove plaque from every surface of every tooth, every day so that you can enjoy:
- better dental health
- fewer fillings
- a healthy, fresh, clean mouth
- a confident smile
- and a healthy heart!